Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Summer of a Lifetime

Have you ever had a summer that changed your life? Like those summers you see in movies and you always wondered if that will happen to you? I honestly, never thought it would happen to me... but it did. Three years ago- I worked on my first REAL job, a job that made me change my whole mind and career decision. It made me realize, I was not meant to be in a 9-5 job (which I always knew, hence why I wanted to be a journalist),and that I wasn't suppose to live the life my parents wanted me to... but during this summer job I found me and I realized I enjoyed, even loved, the chaos that follows production. It was a summer of finding myself, falling in love, and finding my soul sisters. 
So it all started because I was bored in school- one of my last semesters at FIU and I had to much time in my hands, so I looked up internships and found one with SBS- their television channel Mega TV. They were creating a TV show and I was needed to do office work during pre-production. Then, with time I was offered a production assistant job, along side me was Fiorella (Fio), Veronica (Vero) and Joseph (Monster!). I should have known right then, just meeting these three that that summer was going to be a very different one.
We worked like vampires- came out only at night and slept during the day. During our days off we would hang out together, since everyone else we knew were like normal people who slept during the hours the moon was out. Now, during this crazy schedule, I started seeing my fiancee (yes, I was actually engaged once!) less and less. And with seeing him less and less, I started noticing how very wrong we were for each other... I finished that relationship and continued with my life altering summer.
Not only was I now single, but I was doing things I never did... like sleep over a boys house (Joseph), going to clubs, drinking in places I shouldn't have (Ha! Fio and Jo know what I am talking about. Think Club Roof Top), everything without my parent's knowledge. I, all of a sudden, felt a sense of freedom and peace overcome my body. I was being me and for once not caring what others thought. Especially not caring what my parents thought, nor past friends, nor anyone!! It was right then, I just knew, this was that moment, that summer, that would overcome every other summer in my life. I found myself and I did it side to side with my closest friends today- Fio, Vero, and Jo. The funny part is, that summer didn't only change my life, but for them. Ask Fio, Vero and Jo if that crazy summer of "Gabriel" changed them in someway and I assure you they would answer... "Hell yea it did!"

No comments:

Post a Comment